Saturday, September 30, 2006

The Day Imperial Manila was Humbled




The last few days of September proved to be the most catastrophic. Really. With everything literally flying off their feet, or roots for trees..and if only nature prolonged the very agony, and her washings, I believe ruminants would be off their hooves, believe me.

Xangsane- a noun

  • Laotian word for elephant, though not yet found to actually eat a peanut or any of the pea family.
  • A typhoon, cyclone, hilly-willy, bagyo, that devastated the whole metro manila, or mega manila. OK, the whole Luzon. The day the center was paralyzed, stock exchange cancelled.
  • Local name: Milenyo (why only now? You’ve been 6 years delayed, huh?)
  • Thanks to that bitch (ahmm, he is a he, alright, but let’s set aside the gender issue), electricity IS down, phone lines, cable connections, mobile towers, billboards, going down and down..and me as well..I’ve been down in the dumps for two long days.
  • Actually, there’s some kind of embroidery in there. When the whole of Luzon in reality felt unaided, I was having a good time myself. I was indulging myself in an air-conditioned quarter, with lots of light, with lots of electricity, with lots of internet connection, and with oodles of food, and water. CLEAN water. Haha..take that, muggles! I was the king for two days, until dim-witted Meralco had the sudden urge to repair the should’ve been repaired aeons ago.

    I know, I know, you think I am bluffing? Think again. I was in paradise. PARADISO, y ustedes es en INFERNO. Haha..

    While everyone was dozing-off the entire day, I was in office. The generators really did the trick.

    Ho-humm..I’ve had my friends, my brothers’ cellphones recharged at the office. Ok lang. As the good ol’ friend of theirs, I was their saviour.

    And so, my life was not that much affected. After all, just sleeping at the house for a few hours, then jumping off the bed to head for office is one exciting routine for me. I get to chat with my officemates. Being the youngest there, I was the center of attention. Sometimes bullied, oftentimes endeared. Oh how I love older people.

    At least they get to reminisce their younger days with me around. Haha..